Tuesday, December 1, 2020

REVIEW: OWC’s Mercury Extreme SSD offers speed, space



OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 2TB Solid-State Drive

For: PCs, Macs, PS5, Xbox Series consoles, PS4, Xbox One

Price: $349

Available: NOW

Available at: Amazon


When OWC approached me about reviewing their Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SSD, I was a bit apprehensive. I was very familiar with SSDs; both my desktop and laptops have them. They are very fast, but this Pro 6G? Was I dealing with an SSD or a cellphone network?! Thankfully, a few uses put my conspiracy theory fears to rest.




OWC made their Mercury Extreme line with speed and durability in mind. The SSD comes in a low-profile plastic clamshell packaging. The SSD is very light; there are no moving parts. The form factor is super slim; I used the SSD in an ORICO USB 3.1 and Sabient USB 3.0 enclosures. It does not come with an enclosure, though OWC also offers enclosure solutions. 


After putting the SSD into the ORICO enclosure, I navigated to Disk Management to initialize the SSD. When initialization was finished, my Windows 10 desktop had no problem accessing the Pro 6G 2TB SSD.


Benchmark speeds on my desktop PC varied. Using both enclosures and USB 3.0 ports, I was getting 300-400MB/Ss speeds. It took some time to transfer a 500GB test file between my desktop’s SATA hard drive and the SSD. I fault my hard drive for the bottleneck. The story was the same with my Xbox One X. Transfer speeds topped off at 300-400 MB/s as well. Again, a standard hard drive was to blame.





However, when connecting the Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 2TB SSD to my shiny new Xbox Series X, speeds were blazing. Transfer speeds between the SSD and the Series X had breakneck speeds. What normal took an hour to swap games with my Seagate 8TB hub was down to a few minutes. 


For gamers, this SSD is a great, but expensive fit. As stated previous, I have my Seagate 8TB SATA Hard drive hub connected to my Series X, and the 2TB acts as a speedy dump to offload or download Series X games. Plus, you can download games directly to your Pro 6G SSD and save your internal storage for frequently accessed games.


Overall, the Pro 6G SSD is boon for gamer, albeit at a premium cost. The SSDs are available from 240GB ($69.75) to the 4TB SSD ($749). The 2TB SSD is $349 on Amazon.


The real question: why go with an SSD? Speed. For computers, almost instant startups. For video games on PlayStation 5s and Xbox Series consoles? Uber-fast load speeds. Once you taste the Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 2TB, you’ll never look at conventional hard drives the same way.


M4d Ski11z score: 9.5 (out of 10) 

It does wha












No comments: